I think you need to take into consideration the security you want to put on the images. If your OK with someone being able to get to all images in a folder than that is probably your best choice because it can make management of the images easier. (no need for a database update application to get pictures into a BLOB column). However if you dealing with employee or student ID badge pictures then you might want to go the way of using a database for the added security it can provide.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bradley Stone
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 8:17 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Storage of Images (use in web pages)

Hi, Dutch.

I've not heard of people storing actual images in a database, but maybe paths to them.

For most images we store them in the IFS. For a web page they need to have the proper authorities to the directory (*RX) and file (*R) as well as your web server instance set up to serve from the location. Here's an example Apache Web config file:

http://fieldexit.com/forum/display?threadid=15

Another option is offloading the images to cloud sites so that the requests for images (and possibly other things like JavaScript) are spread out among many servers, removing the bottleneck of everything on one server.

For this you just have to make sure to specify the full URL path to the file in your HTML (ie, src="http://mycloud.com/images/logo.png"; vs "/images/logo.png" when they are stored locally)

Brad
www.bvstools.com