Hi Craig,
I can't directly answer your question because I don't use jar for zipping but I'm familiar with the problem with file name ccsids in archives. If you haven't got a jar solution then you could try the free ARP-ZIP tool. It let's you set a ccsid for file names independently of file contents and it's easy to script.

Tim