De : MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Vernon Hamberg
Envoyé : 14 février 2015 17:03
À : Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Objet : Re: SQL RPG Where clause question

Denis

I was curious about this, so I went to the SQL Programming Concepts PDF and found the following - the first item may apply, to use varying length host variables.

Special considerations for LIKE
- When host variables are used in place of string constants in a search pattern, you should consider using varying length host variables. This allows you to:
-- Assign previously used string constants to host variables without any change.
-- Obtain the same selection criteria and results as if a string constant was used.

- When fixed-length host variables are used in place of string constants in a search pattern, you should ensure the value specified in the host variable matches the pattern previously used by the string constants.
All characters in a host variable that are not assigned a value are initialized with a blank.

For example, if you did a search using the string pattern 'ABC%', these are some of the values that could be returned:

'ABCD ' 'ABCDE' 'ABCxxx' 'ABC '

For example, if you did a search using the search pattern 'ABC%'
contained in a host variable with a fixed length of 10, these are some the values that could be returned assuming the column has a length of 12:

'ABCDE ' 'ABCD ' 'ABCxxx ' 'ABC '

Note that all returned values start with 'ABC' and end with at least six blanks. This is because the last six characters in the host variable were not assigned a specific value so blanks were used.

If you wanted to do a search on a fixed-length host variable where the last 7 characters could be anything, you would search for 'ABC%%%%%%%'.
These are some values that could be returned:

'ABCDEFGHIJ' 'ABCXXXXXXX' 'ABCDE' 'ABCDD'

HTH
Vern