From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 11:16
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Why are you upgrading to IBM i 7.1 and not to 7.2?

You noticed that I didn't include that didn't you? :-)

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Glenn Gundermann <glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/30/2015 01:37 PM

Hey Rob,

Great insight.
By the way, how many responses made up these results?

Thank you.

Yours truly,

Glenn Gundermann
Email: glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx
Work: (416) 675-9200 ext. 89224
Cell: (416) 317-3144

On 30 January 2015 at 13:14, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Survey results:

I only upgrade to an OS that is 4 years old or older. 7.2 has only been
available since May of 2014.
6.67%

My software vendor thinks that maintenance money is for his yacht and
doesn't yet support 7.2.
6.67%

My software vendor has a different version for 7.2 and I'm not ready for
that migration.
6.67%

My software vendor has a different version for 7.2 and I'm migrating to
something else instead.
0.00%

I'm coming from V5R4 and I only want to go to the highest supported
upgrade release and not do a migration.
0.00%

I'm upgrading on an older or used box and the highest it supports is 7.1
40.00%

The other machines I support are all running 7.1 or earlier.
6.67%

I only have 7.1 on site and I don't know how to download directly from
IBM, or use the phone to call my BP, to get 7.2.
10.00%

I only have 7.1 on site and we've since dropped maintenance and are not
capable of getting 7.2
0.00%

"Other" responses included:
- We've already upgraded to 7.2.
- We wait for 2 cumes or TR's out. (Ed: Already passed that with
cumes.)
- Best practice is running current - 1.
(Ed: I think these previous two are derivatives of "I only upgrade to
an
OS that is 4 years old or older.")
- I was on 7.1 before 7.2 came out.
- I was on 7.1 before 7.2 came out. And we only upgrade when the vendor
drops support for the OS.
- Sametime issues, must be upgraded first (Ed: I think this falls under
"My software vendor has a different version for 7.2 and I'm not ready
for
that migration." As Sametime is the reason some of my lpars are still
on
7.1)
- Too lazy (Ed: Love an honest person!)

Group Dekko