Back at you Vern.

Jim

As a fairlyl recent SEQUEL customer/user, I must counter this - you CAN
use either SEQUEL's syntax (yes, it has differences from native) or
native IBM i SQL syntax.

And the latter is fully compliant and will use the new query engine.

Where I work, there are thousands and thousands of SEQUEL View user spaces built over the years. Mostly simple SEQUEL views chained together outputting temporary tables to derive the desired results. SEQUEL is not much better than QUERY400, just it's not a part of the os and is not free.

If the SEQUEL View was not built using the gui ViewPoint designer and the view was defaultly created using SEQUEL/SEQUEL as Syntax/Server then SEQUEL pushes through QQQUERY interface. If the Sequel View has been created using LOCALSYS/SEQUEL then SEQUEL attempts to create a native DB2 SQL statement and pushes it through the SQL Query Engine. If SEQUEL View is created as LOCALSYS/SERVER, then no SQL translation occurs and SQL statement is pushed directly through SQL Query Engine.

The LOCALSYS/SERVER setting seems like it would be a good choice, but their gui tool doesn't like it very much and balks at every chance it gets and you have to turn off all syntax checking to get it to accept a valid native SQL statement.

Please try to consume any Common Table Expression, Values Expression Table or any OLAP function and respond back to the list.

Jim