You definitely need to upgrade your HMC first, as you've said. Your
current HMC version will not support any AL730 versions. Good news there
is that you are not so far behind that you have to do multiple stage
upgrades (at least for your firmware) like I had to when upgrading v5 to
v7 of hmc and some really old firmware quite some time ago.
<snip>
The Minimum HMC Code level for this firmware (AL730_142) is: HMC V7
R7.3.0 (PTF MH01255 or MH01256) with PTF MH01257 (Mandatory efix).
</snip>

Both your firmware and HMC code have been out of service for over two
years.

You will have to stage your HMC upgrades!!!
HMC Version 7 Release 7.9.0 supports upgrading from the following
releases, with or without Service Packs or efixes: HMC V7R7.6.0, HMC
V7R7.7.0, and HMC V7R7.8.0.
http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/HMA/04gm2/2/MH01405.readme.html
It also says: This package represents the Recovery image that can be used
to upgrade your HMC from HMC V7R7.6.0 or higher to HMC V7R7.9.0.
While all previous releases say something like: This package represents
the Recovery image that can be used to upgrade your HMC from HMC V6R1.3.0
or higher to HMC V7R7.8.0.
Other tidbits from that include:
HMC Version 7 Release 7.9.0 requires model CR3 or later model rack-mount
HMC or C05 or later deskside HMC. Models CR2, C03, and C04 are not
supported.
HMC Version 7 Release 7.9.0 will be the last version to support HMC models
CR3 and CR4.
HMC Version 7 will be the last version to support HMCs with 1 GB of RAM;
4Gig is recommended.
DVD-RAM is no longer supported for backup and restore of console data.
Basically it looks like your CR6 will work, if it has the right memory.

Make sure you install the 'optional' fixes for your new version of HMC
code. Some firmware upgrades have statements in them like:
"This requires the management console be at a minimum level that has a
POODLE fix such as HMC V7 R7.9.0 SP1 with POODLE PTF MH01484."

Since you are going from AL720 to AL730 it will definitely be a system
down disruptive upgrade. This will be an upgrade, not an update. As you
are going through the install process this distinction will be felt. Once
you've upgraded your HMC you should be able to upgrade your firmware in
one step.

Note: While HMC 7.7.9 is the 'Maximum Stability Release Level' release,
the 'Latest Release Level' release of V8R8.1.0 is an option.
https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/power5cm3/eltablep7.html
Carefully read the upgrade notes at:
http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/HMA/04ko5/12/MH01419.readme.html