Hmmm... I can see all the files/directories when I mount my FreeBSD box via NFS, all works exactly as expected.

Could this be an authority problem?

Authority in NFS works based on the numeric uid/gid values. So if uid 1000 is granted authority to the file on the Linux box and you mount it from IBM i, then whomever is uid 1000 on IBM i will have authority to it.

This can cause strange results if your numeric uid/gid values on IBM i don't match the ones on the Linux box.