From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of x y
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 1:58 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Inserting a record into the middle of a subfile--suggestions?

I appreciate the variety of solutions offered--thanks to all who took the
time to respond. My wish for a linked list was partially tongue-in-cheek
but it does have its uses (in many text editors, I believe). I'm a bit
surprised and disappointed that IBM never released an API to provide greater
control over subfiles but I'm not waiting for the announcement.

The variable-length array using LIKEREC appears to be the best solution. I
don't need any sorting capability--as I read through the subfile and load
the array, I can post the "insertions" and then reload the subfile directly
from the array. Since I'll be using this in a high-volume,
moderately-complex data entry application, every CPU cycle counts and I
avoid gold-plating.

Happy 2015!