Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here... as far as I can tell, you are saying that if you define your structures as parameters (vs return values) that somehow solves your problem.

but, I can't see why it solves the problem of not being able to specify the number of array elements needed in nested arrays within the structure.

On 12/30/2014 11:42 AM, Koester, Michael wrote:
Thanks Scott.
I must say that your solution appears to be well beyond my level of expertise, but...
I have it on good authority that IWS does not currently support what I am trying to do.

That said, I'm finding that instead of using a return value from the function, I can define what would ideally considered inputs as the data structures that get loaded in the function. Since those aren't CONST parameters, IWS sees them as multiple outputs, which allows me to set the count property of the arrays to the variables, and I get the XML structure I need. There might be a better way to get there, but until I find it, this will do.
-- Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Scott Klement
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 4:49 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IWS needs web service to return only the array rows used

Michael,

I don't have an easy answer for this... I think you've hit upon one of
the limits of the IWS.

Personally (when I need something complex like this) is to just use
Apache to call my RPG program instead of IWS. Then, I need to do all
of the XML work myself -- which I don't find too difficult if I already
know what the XML should look like (and I can use the IWS to tell me
that).

But, if you code the XML yourself, you can make it only return the array
elements you need very easily.

Plus, running raw RPG code will outperform the IWS.

-SK