I forget exactly what you were trying to do but let's say you are trying
to upgrade from 6.1 to 7.1.
First you want to install PTF's on 6.1 as recommended before you upgrade
to 7.1.
Then you want to upgrade to 7.1
Then you want to install PTF's for 7.1.

Ok, I would create three image catalogs:
PTF610
V7
PTF710

And I would create a virtual optical drive and vary it on (CRTDEVOPT)

Then I would load the binaries for PTF610 into that image catalog.
ADDIMGCLGE ... TOFILE(*FROMFILE)
Then I would use LODIMGCLG to load it to the virtual optical drive.
VFYIMGCLG for *PTF
Then GO PTF, option 8 from OPTVRT01.

And, in advance, I would load the binaries for PTF710 into that image
catalog. Again using ADDIMGCLGE.

When that is done then I would load each cd for V7 into the V7 image
catalog. Using an image catalog ensures that all the discs are good and
that you can install without having to glare at the screen waiting for
prompts to insert the next disk and wait appropriately for it to be read
before taking the option to continue.
Then I would LODIMGCLG that into OPTVRT01. Then I would read the fine
manual on the appropriate options for GO LICPGM, 5. Prepare for install,
and process accordingly.

Once I've successfully upgraded to V7 then I would do the LODIMGCLG on
PTF710 into OPTVRT01.
VFYIMGCLG on it.
GO PTF, option 8 selecting OPTVRT01.

No save files involved whatsoever.