On 12/16/2014 1:40 PM, Bill Howie wrote:
Also, the delim = ',' statement has to do with something later on in the
program. I'm not using it as some sort of delimiter for the OVRDBF
command. Those just happen to be the first two statements in my program,
and I was getting the aforementioned error message when either one of them
was the first line executed.

Can you run any Rexx procedures?

I'm wondering how you're getting the single quotes into the source -
Microsoft Word (for one example) tries to be clever and use smart
quotes, which aren't quotes as far as Rexx is concerned. ‘ and ’ throw
that error for me [1] Use DSPPFM and F11 to see exactly what the hex
values are in the code. Maybe there's something else in there besides
what the emulator is capable of displaying? Hex codes to colour code a
comment?

This code works fine for me on 7.2:

/* Test Rexx from midrange.com */
delim = ','
"OVRDBF FILE(STDIN) TOFILE(TEST/TESTRAWJRN) MBR(TESTNONJRN)"
"dspovr"
say delim

[1] Presumably CPD7C8D

Message . . . . : Error in line 2: Invalid character in program.

Cause . . . . . : The program includes a character, outside of a
literal string, that is not a blank or one of the following: A-Z, a-z,
0-9, question mark, exclamation point, period, underscore, ampersand,
asterisk, parenthesis, minus sign, plus sign, back slash, single
quotation mark, double quotation mark, semicolon, colon, less than sign,
greater than sign,comma, percent sign, not sign, and slash.
Recovery . . . : Ensure that only the characters listed above are
used, and try the request again.