I've never bought the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto for the main
reason that most people stick their heads into the sand so they won't find
out that it IS broke. For example, have you checked your level of HMC
code to determine if you are susceptible to the heartbleed issue? My dad
used to use that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" on why he didn't change
the oil in his car.

We like to keep current with firmware. If my boss asks me "can we install
this card?" I want to be able to say "sure". I don't want to have to say,
"well, I wish I would have known before this last quarterly downtime we
just did as our next downtime is in three months and you'll just have to
wait". The latest firmware will work on our current level of HMC. However
it recommends newer.

At one time I let firmware and HMC code get WAY behind. And these have to
be somewhat in sync, not perfectly, but somewhat. It ended up me having
to upgrade HMC to an intermediate level, upgrade firmware to an
intermediate level - repeat several times (with IPL's thrown in) until I
got both current.

Also there are some things I am trying in the 'new' UI of HMC that only
works in the 'classic' UI of HMC. I'm hoping the newer version of HMC
code fully works with the new UI.

Also, many people keep redefining 'broke' to meet their requirement of not
having to put on any fixes or upgrades. "Hey, I'm running 6.1 with the
original cume and I can't get this to work..."
reply "upgrade OS". OP decides to 'work around' or not implement new
function. See? Not "broke".
Same work around is tried if reply was "put on cume such-and-such or
higher".
Cycle continues until machine is replaced by non IBM i platform.