Hi Tommy,

Generally speaking, I don't think there is a drop in resource usage between
RPGIII and ILE RPG. In fact, replacing a 5250 RPG III interface with a
modern web one is going to use more resources.

Sure, replacing OPNQRYF with SQL should provide for some improvement...

Also, replacing RPG III record i/o with SQL or even RPG IV record i/o into
a DS should have some improvement...

Lastly, DDL defined vs. DDS defined tables may offer some improvement if
the tables are read more than they are written.

But generally speaking, I don't see resource usage as a driver for
modernization. Particularly in any kind of automated modernization project;
where you are trying to update everything.

Having said that, can you rewrite any particular poorly performing process
using modern techniques and improve performance? Sure, but while the
modern techniques help; the performance improvement comes from focusing on
performance in the first place. You could have a completely modern ILE RPG
process that benefits from a rewrite that focuses on performance.

Charles