On 07-Nov-2014 12:10 -0600, DrFranken wrote:
On 11/7/2014 12:50 PM, CRPence wrote:
<<SNIP>> I wonder if that doc was not updated, or if I
mis-remember about a change having been made to that feature.?

<<SNIP>> I do not believe that the DEFER function handles journals
that are out of sequence however, just SQL and logical files.

While perhaps not for journal receivers to their journals, [at least for journaled /QSYS.LIB] journaled objects for their not-yet restored journals seems to have been included as an enhancement. See the long-running discussion [the past few months] in the archives of this forum with DFRID in the subject line. See also:

<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzaq9/rzaq9osJRNdfrid.htm>
_Journaling behavior when a DFRID is specified on a restore_
"... when the Restore deferred object (RSTDFROBJ) command is run for that DFRID, an attempt will be made to both restore the deferred logical files and start journaling objects which deferred journaling. *In previous releases*, only an attempt to restore the logical files was made.
..."

I do not recall the specific doc I had read in the past, that which I recall implying the opt-21 changed, but the following doc link perhaps clarifies an implicit change due to the DFRID() parameter default in conjunction with the LIB() parameter special values:
<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzaki/rzakideferjrn.htm>
_Deferring object journaling during restore_
"...
If a user has save system (*SAVSYS) special authority and uses the RSTLIB command and specifies the *NONSYS, *ALLUSR, or *IBM values for the Saved Library (SAVLIB) parameter and specifying *DFT for the DFRID parameter, the system manages the deferred journaling information. In all other cases, if the user omits the DFRID parameter, the user must manage the start journaling requests.
..."

So then I was left wondering...

So if the actual list of actions performed with the Restore Option-21 has *not* changed, then apparently the RSTDFROBJ [or Remove Defer ID (RMVDFRID)] is something that might be done [optionally?] by the operator *after* the option-21 restore completes.? I would have expected that the Restore Deferred Objects (RSTDFROBJ) would have been performed implicitly via that option-21 [having been added as an explicit additional step in that list for the Rst Opt-21]. Why would the default effect of RSTLIB SAVLIB(*NONSYS) DFRID(*DFT) require the choice of those actions after the Opt-21 restore, instead of adding them?

But then I examined the documentation much closer, and realized the effect is actually _implicit_ but with\requiring *only* the above RSTLIB [per default to DFRID(*DFT)]. The following doc [from the same link as above, used "This command" instead of suggesting "The following command"; lacking some bullets and\or indentations, so I missed the implication in the first read:

<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzaki/rzakideferjrn.htm>
"...
_Deferred restore examples_

This <ed: the following> command restores all the saved non-system libraries to the system from tape. The system manages the deferred journaling for objects that are restored before their journal is restored. The system attempts to automatically start journaling of the dependent objects when the journal is finally restored.

RSTLIB SAVLIB(*NONSYS) DEV(TAP01) DFRID(*DFT)
..."