On 04-Nov-2014 17:37 -0600, DrFranken wrote:

On 11/4/2014 5:22 PM, Ted Breedon wrote:
<<SNIP>>
Also, how on earth am I supposed to figure out what didn't fully
restore? The job log in the green-screen is absolutely enormous.

My first suggestion would be to search for the words "not restored".
Keep looking until you find the number of items not restored that
matches the list for each library.

I am unsure if a recent message I intended to send, actually got sent or perhaps instead sits in my drafts after my last crash; but if sent, in that message I warn against depending on search of "not restored". I suggest for a proactive approach to use the OUTPUT() support of the RSTxxx or reactively to search in the joblog for "Escape" [and possibly also "Diagnostic"] within the specific columns they always appear within a spooled joblog; of course, using the equivalent text\token for the specific language feature used to spool the QPJOBLOG.

Instead using that search for the message type, is because searching on "not restored" can be problematic per issues with any of upper\lower case, phrasing, and language may thwart searches on translated message identifier text; most notable, every "not restored" condition, even in USEnglish, might not necessarily include "not restored" in either of the first or second level text.

Found my prior reply; to another thread initiated by the same OP:
<http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201410/msg01140.html>
Subject: Finding what wasn't restored after opt 21 restore

Most of the time when you see a lot of objects not restored you
have an environment with many cross library logical files and
journals that are not properly placed. This is just one of the
reasons why you should ALWAYS test your restore.

Huh. I though I had read somewhere that GO RESTORE option-21 was modified to include a Defer Identifier to handle [many of] those issues; beyond just for the BRMS equivalent, similarly to enable the restore to complete with only one pass of the media. But now, looking at a doc link showing what the option-21 performs, there is no mention of either Defer Identifier (DFRID) or Restore Deferred Objects (RSTDFROBJ) being performed.? I wonder if that doc was not updated, or if I mis-remember about a change having been made to that feature.?
<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzarm/rzarmrst21.htm>