And there's the perfect point... it does move so fast that using it for
business critical applications (like Accounting, Inventory, etc) seems like
trying to deliver a semi trailer of goods using the latest 911.

SIDE NOTE: Probably one of the most used online accounting packages,
QuickBooksOnline, is written in RubyOnRails. I'd consider that site fairly
mission critical to many businesses small and large.

We've only touched the tip of the iceberg of the *why*, because in the past
I would have agreed that it seemingly doesn't appear there is enough
advantage. But then I started peeling away the onion layers.

Venturing further into the iceberg...
The next generation of frameworks (i.e. Rails**1) takes the software
development lifecycle to the next level. For example, unit testing**2 is
built-in from ground zero and isn't an after-thought. This is especially
important in today's business economy because it isn't reasonable to wait
weeks or months for new features to be released and instead, with adequate
unit testing in place, things like Continuous Integration**3 and Continuous
Delivery**4 can become a reality.

**1 http://rubyonrails.org
**2 http://guides.rubyonrails.org/testing.html
**3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration
**4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_delivery

Maybe better stated: What if you could reliably deploy to production 10-20
times a day in automated fashion whenever code submissions were made - all
at the push of a few buttons? That's a hurdle the communities of Ruby (and
the like) have crossed/accomplished and is why things like automation of
unit testing/deployment**5 are very necessary for the next generation of
successful businesses.

**5 http://capistranorb.com/

My point is that it is about so much more than just a language - it's the
community and what they are constantly furthering/streamlining.

On final note, Amazon.com deploys every 11.6 seconds.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2971521

Aaron Bartell