www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com

On 11/4/2014 12:48 PM, Jack Tucky wrote:
The power cable for the tape drive is in the way. :-) They should have moved it somewhere else.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vernon Hamberg
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 12:35 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Trying to IPL A 9407-515

These are not fans - they are "Air Moving Devices" - AMDs!

Gotta love IBM engineers~

Vern

On 11/4/2014 7:54 AM, DrFranken wrote:
Sounds like you have a failing fan in the Power Supply perhaps. There
are actually four or five fans in that model. Four if you have one PS
and five if you have two PS installed.

They will certainly spin up to full bore for a few seconds while they
are all being tested. If all three up top spin hard then it's likely
the one in the Power Supply that's not going. That sucker is not easy
to replace and a Power Supply is your best bet.

Certainly worth pulling the PS out and using some canned air to both
clean up the dust and also see if it spins freely. Canned air should
spin it easily once it gets turning.

Also do this test with the fans up top. Check that they spin freely
and don't wobble. I just sold a fan to another on the list because he
had one rattling more than spinning!

Let me know if you think you need a fan or PS.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com