110% agreed on making the code cleaner. It's the only way I write CL these days.

210% agreed on the wishes for parms. The integer return value does nothing for me.

Locally scoped variables would be fantastic.

Roger HarmanCOMMON Certified Application Developer – ILE RPG on IBM i on PowerOCEAN User Group – Vice-President, Membership (2014)

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:52:24 -0500
From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Coding procedures in CL

Rob

Procedures within CL don't actually exist - I think you mean
subroutines. They do not have parameters at all. They are very like RPG
subroutines in this aspect, that they use global variables.

There is a single return that is a 4-byte signed integer, and I believe
you specify this in a parameter of CALLSUBR.- yeah, the RTNVAL
parameter, default *NONE. You use the RTNVAL parameter on either ENDSUBR
or RTNSUBR to set it.

I like these beasts, they can make the main code cleaner. I do wish they
were actual procedures with parameters, though.

HTH ( know, it really doesn't help!!!)
Vern