On 22-Oct-2014 13:05 -0500, Mike Cunningham wrote:
We are in the process of deleting a lot of old unused files
from the IFS. <<SNIP>> Is there a command that should be run
against the IFS if you do a lot of file deletions or does it
manage itself really well?

I am unsure of the implementation of the *DIR object [more that I am unsure of my recollections, and I have no capabilities to investigate] but there could be a concern like with a Library (*LIB) object whereby if the largest number of objects in or under the directory is expected never again to reach such a large number, then there may be some value in re-creating the directory [as might be the case for re-creating a Library]. If a particular directory will be [nearly] completely emptied, then easy enough to look at the Display Attributes information for the directory before starting the deletions, then again after the deletions, and finally again after a re-create of the directory; if the there is little significant or no reduction in size after the deletions but there is significant reduction in size after the re-creation of the directory, then there is likely potential storage to be reclaimed by re-creating a directory that was since pruned of a large number of objects. Obviously if the directory size returns to or approaches the size seen prior to the deletions, after moving back or inserting a number of files that would be expected to reflect the typical number of objects [that would eventually reside] in that directory, then the value of re-creating the directory is more appropriately calculated from the difference between those sizes rather the difference between the pre-deletion size and the re-created size.