From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 7:06 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: i5 OS upgrade - from V7R1 to V7R2

Items that have been a big concern include the levels of WAS supported and the Java engines supported.
There is not one java engine that shipped with V5R4 that is supported on 7.2. There is one that you could have downloaded for V5R4 that will work on 7.2. But, like who can download V5R4 stuff anymore? So the fence straddling vendors are going to have to make a leap as to what OS levels they are going to support. Those that are actively upgrading and writing checks. Or those that are dormant and probably even grumble about paying maintenance.

Often these concerns are alleviated by upgrading the version of software from your vendor.
Domino required upgrading to version 9 as no versions of Domino 8 are supported (I tried).
IBM is abandoning their Quickr product and want you to migrate over to Connections. We're working on that but we're not going to run it on IBM i anymore. As soon as we uninstall Quickr from that lpar it's going to 7.2.
IBM Sametime is not an upgrade from 8 to 9. It's an uninstall and reinstall from scratch. It sounds quite daunting, as compared to something simple - like an SAP installation. :-) But we're thinking about tackling that beast. This is the reason we've not upgraded our main ERP lpar. In a period of lunacy we installed Sametime in that same lpar.
Infor's Webtop will have to be upgraded because of the WAS requirement.

You say your hardware should be good. That was a huge show stopper for us in going from 7.1 to 7.2. Even though a 9117-MMA is supported a vast majority of the expansion units and cards we were using were not. We were able to get a couple of guested lpars upgraded as long as they used no unsupported cards.

All of our show stoppers were covered in the Memo To Users except what levels of java, WAS, etc each vendor required.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755