From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 3:40 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Performance of large LF access path builds - SSD vs 10K spinny

Is everything else truly equal?
Are both lpars using the same media?
Are you journalling on the Production lpar with SSD's but not on the R&D lpar with 10k spinny? Journalling, without the HA Journal Performance (fee charged) part of IBM i installed, can be a significant impact on performance. We first bought SSD's on Power 6 to put certain files on there based on some trials we did in Rochester that showed awesome performance on SSD's. However, we weren't journalling in Rochester. That was where the performance gain was. Not the SSD's. Put on option HA Journal Performance and it ran like a scalded dog.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755