There are 2 kinds of SET, at a very high level - various SET statements (SET OPTION, SET RESULT SETS, SET variable, etc.), and the SET clause of the UPDATE statement. SET variable is only for a host variable.

There is no SET clause in any form of SELECT that I know of. Think of it - SELECT is a READ operation - you don't change anything in RPG when you do a READ operation.

HTH
Vern