I, too, would think Sunguard would be bonded. However, after having had
Iron Mountain deliver a tape to a wrong location I can share some of your
bosses concerns.

Then you might want to look at tape encryption. This will require you to
look up some information and to develop effective communication skills to
convince your management.

Another alternative, still using encryption, would be a Virtual Tape
Library or VTL. I'm really surprised no one else has made that
suggestion. One unit local, which replicates (with encryption) to

Another option is to save to a virtual tape image catalog. You should use
encryption on that. If you choose not to use encryption then you might
want to zip that up with encryption and a password before transferring it
off to Sunguard. However, the zipping will increase the time and disk
consumption considerably. And think about just how you would recover from

The end in mind is "How would you restore in a DR situation with any
backup strategy you select?". Test your new strategy at Sunguard.