that example program is pulling the IP address from the Device Description...
if you look at that device description (via DSPDEVD) does it show a ip address?

WIN7 and WIN8 do have settings to lock down remote command, not sure what they are.

I can say that I currently run client access 7.1 (latest service pack!)
and I return a ip address for my client access session.