On 8/6/2014 4:10 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
Buck,

Do you have 6 RDI or 6 WDS licenses?

I have 6 RDi licences.

I have 15 licences each of 5770-WDS:
5103 - Application Development ToolSet
5101 - ILE COMPILERS: RPG, COBOL, C/C++
5102 - HERITAGE COMPILERS: OPM, S/36, S/38 RPG CO

That 15 is because that's how many seats we were entitled to at the time
we moved from 5.4 to 7.1.
--buck

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:42 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RSE - Remote System Explorer

On 8/6/2014 3:17 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:

Our BP is not very familiar with RDI, info and pricing is confusing.
We currently have 40 5770WDS licenses.
We currently have 5 programmers, 1 operator, 1 application admin, and 1 i5 admin.
We had a one seat license for RDI back in 2012 when we migrated to P7, but it wasn't included in our maintenance renewal, didn't get renewed, BP slipup.
Below is the pricing I pulled from the site.
Not everyone would need a RDI seat, not sure which way to go at this point.

Detailed price list
Select Part description *IBM price excluding tax
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG & COBOL Tools Authorized User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0C5FLL) 968.00
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG & COBOL Tools Floating User Single Install License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0C5ILL) 1,710.00
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG & COBOL Tools Floating User Single Install Initial Fixed Term License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0LJWLL) 787.00
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG/COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition Authorized User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0ZN3LL) 2,700.00
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG/COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition Floating User Single Install License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0ZN4LL) 4,730.00
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG/COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition Floating User Single Install Initial Fixed Term License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0ZNSLL) 2,220.00
IBM Rational Developer for i RPG / COBOL + Modernization Tools, EGL Edition Authorized User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D0ZN5LL) 2,700.00

I have 6 Authorized User Licenses. One for each of us programmers. We are all green screen RPG, DDS and CL programmers. The various Modernzation Tools are for web type stuff (Java and EGL). If you aren't sure what that means, you don't need that. I think floating licences are for contractors.

We have a web team who use .NET. I support them with stored procedures and SQL VIEWs. RDi will allow you to create Java projects, but it's missing the IBM i 'hooks', I guess. I don't find that an issue, as I don't do any web work.

Further details about RDi should probably move over to the WDSCi-L list.
It's a low volume list; you won't get swamped.
--buck