On 30-Jul-2014 09:03 -0500, Matt Lavinder wrote:
On 7/30/2014 9:40 AM, Luis Rodriguez wrote:
On 30-Jul-2014 08:30 -0500, Matt Lavinder wrote:
<<SNIP>> file shows up on our weekly backup when we do a SAVOBJ,
the file is changed daily and never shows up on our daily backups
when we do a SAVCHGOBJ. <<SNIP>>

Are you journaling the file?

<<SNIP>> I do believe the file is being journaled. Is that the issue?

Seems an odd question, given an earlier followup-reply stating "OK, I see now. We have changed the OBJJRN parameter to *YES now." Nonetheless, I offer...

The Save Changed Objects (SAVCHGOBJ) command has a parameter, Journaled Objects (OBJJRN), that depending on the specification, may cause journaled objects to be omitted, regardless the object having been /changed/. Thus "the issue" would seem to be the combination of the file being journaled and what is specified [explicitly or defaulted] for the OBJJRN() parameter on the SAVCHGOBJ request.

Many journaled objects that would have been saved with the initial full-save [vs a changed-save], when restored under recovery, would have their saved journaled changes applied post-restore [e.g. using Apply Journaled Changes (APYJRNCHG)], rather than having the latest copy of all of the data getting saved on each changed-save.

The desirability of _not saving the journaled objects_ with the save-changed request is most conspicuous when the amount of data in the object is very large, but the volume of data required to record the updates to the data is /small/; saving changed data as a multi-GB data file in each successive save versus saving perhaps just some multi-MB of data being saved with a Journal Receiver (*JRNRCV), along with the added requirement for the post-restore application of changes, is often very worthwhile for the reduction of the amount of both media and time required for the save activity.