Well, the third Power 8 finished Raid fine. No quick jump to 99% and
hang. Instead it slowly (like about 1 percent every 5 minutes) counted
Of course, that one had spinning disks instead of SSD's like the other two
Power 8's.

I had aborted the raid on one after only about 8 hours. It took a long
time (went home and saw it in the morning) to boot into DST off of DVD.
DST shows no way to see status of raid. Well, in a roundabout way...
'display page data' or some such thing shows all but 2 disks are in raid.
So, do I assume that the other two are the hot spares? For kicks I tried
to start raid but it has no more disks to start raid on. Not going too
far until IBM tells me what to do next.

However my confidence in my abilities shot up through the roof. The
machine I cabled myself is farthest along.