From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 08:34
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: impact of deleted records

You must be careful when changing PF to REUSEDLT(*YES).
We have some 3rd party apps that require REUSEDLT(*NO) for various reasons.
Also, if you can afford several hours of extra down time during IPL, then Chris's idea works.
We cannot be down that extra time so we use RGZPFM while active.
For this to work, PF must be journaled, so the automated process begins journaling, ends when complete.
We run this process monthly, over any file with deleted records, currently runs 1/2 hour to hour.
Years back, this process took 10 to 20 hours, weeks on R&D partition.
There have been significant improvements with RGZPFM with V6R1 and V7R1, not sure about V5R4.

STRJRNPF FILE(&MBLIB/&MBFILE) JRN(QGPL/RGZPFM)

RGZPFM FILE(&MBLIB/&MBFILE) MBR(&MBNAME) +
RBDACCPTH(*NO) ALWCANCEL(*YES) +
LOCK(*SHRUPD) /* rgzpfm while active */

ENDJRNPF FILE(&MBLIB/&MBFILE) JRN(QGPL/RGZPFM)

Paul