The issue was with the "fromfile", not the "tofile". Complaining about
CPF2803To-file CLUST00001 in SSC not allowed.
would have been ok, if they had only referred to it as the "From" file.
Further examination of the joblog reveals:
Message ID . . . . . . : CPF428A
Message . . . . : Open of member CLUST00001 file CLUST00001 in SSC
failed.
Cause . . . . . : Member CLUST00001 file CLUST00001 in library SSC was
not
opened because of error code 1. The error codes and their meanings are:

1 -- The format for file CLUST00001 contains one or more large object

fields and the open request did not indicate that large object fields
could
be processed by the user of the open.
From program . . . . . . . . . : QDBSIGEX
From library . . . . . . . . : QSYS
Instruction . . . . . . . . : 05A4

To program . . . . . . . . . . : QC2IO
To library . . . . . . . . . : QSYS
To module . . . . . . . . . : QC2CRIC1
To procedure . . . . . . . . : _C_Open file
To statement . . . . . . . . : 15