IBM i will happily 'host' (Bridge) Ethernet for many guest partitions. However it cannot provide redundancy or failover as can VIOS.

IBM i will not host NPIV connected tape (or DASD for that matter.) Since you have to do your tape connections through VIO you might as well do your Ethernet as well and get redundancy there.

What you propose IS the right way to go.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis