At first I wondered where John was coming from. Of course, his argument
about the granularity of CPYTOIMPF really hit home with me. It made a lot
of sense and explained where he was coming from.
As far as using SQL to do this you may, or may not, agree with him, but I
at least know why he thinks that way.

I would probably use the SQL. If I needed to change it in the future
because I needed additional granularity then I would do so.

I would never code something for fear that someone else may not know how
to do it with SQL and would be lost. That person had better learn or
leave. (I may draw the line at MI though.)