Chuck, another question for me is, does this person want to read the results in CL? I do know this guy is a 400 person, so I can * will make some assumptions.

Others who ask this kind fo thing in the past want to use OPNQRYF to do the same as select distinct fields from file

SOme have suggested using OPNQRYF is possible, I think, thoug, that it would require that all the fields be the key - you know OQF better than I.

Otherwise, one would have to get Bruce'Vinings product to make this work - I don't about anything to allow direct reads of query output in CL.