I didn't seem to be able to do this in V5R1 - is it supported?

I had posted that I had managed to solve the problem in my last post.

Many thanks

On 21 May 2014 17:01, Barbara Morris <bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2014-05-19 14:19, Rob Dixon wrote:

I haven't needed to read a source file for about 24 years and didn't have
any problems reading them with OPM RPG.

Now I need to do it again and am using RPGLE. I can open the file and
records but the fields are all empty. I must be doing something pretty
dumb. I am on V5R1. Can anyone help please? I have tried with both
externally described and program described files.

If you don't use the fields in your program, the compiler makes an
optimization and doesn't move the data from the input record into the

You can code DEBUG(*INPUT) in your H spec to get it to always load fields
even if they are not used in the program.

Here's a page in the Programmer's Guide "Unexpected Results when
Evaluating Variables"

Here's the page in the Reference about DEBUG(*INPUT):