Thanks, I'll look at that.

Sounds close. I just happen to have a call on my vios supported dvd drive
today and was talked through this:
Last login: Tue May 6 15:00:09 CDT 2014 on /dev/pts/0 from 10.10.2.76
$ oem_setup_env
# lscfg -vl cd0
cd0 U78C9.001.WZS00FK-P2-D27 SATA DVD-RAM Drive

Manufacturer................IBM.
Machine Type and Model......RMBO0140592
ROS Level and ID............U51J
Device Specific.(Z0)........058002028F000030
Part Number.................00FW929
EC Level....................N46182
FRU Number..................00FW930
Hardware Location Code......U78C9.001.WZS00FK-P2-D27

# exit
$ exit