On 5/18/2014 5:04 PM, King Harrison IV via MIDRANGE-L wrote:
I am doing some research for my company on how best to do version
control with RPG, CL, and DDS. I am not an IBM i programmer as my
expertise is in PHP and ZF2 (which I am currently doing on the i). I
have been using GitHub and love how it works. What is the most
similar type of service for RPG? Can I use GitHub? Is there something
similar that is much easier to setup?

<vendor mode="on">
GIT, SVN, & CVS are fine for source control ... but change control on IBM i is a lot more than just source code.

Object attributes retention, selective recompile, PF/LF/Module/Program relationships, data retention, and the integrity of production applications all should be considered.

Most major ALM solutions for IBM i (such as PTC Implementer) will provide proper change control for native objects, as well as IFS files.

Feel free to contact me privately if you would like information on Implementer.

(who works for PTC, on the Implementer product, in addition to running midrange.com)