Assume a table with date data stored as numbers defined as 8,0.

NBRDTE
20,140,228
20,140,229
20,140,430
20,140,431
20,140,304

In a 6.1 or newer box, you can use "timestamp_format" to convert these numbers into dates, if they are valid dates.

Running this SQL will convert those numbers that can be translated into dates and fail to convert the others.

SELECT nbrdte,
timestamp_format(digits(nbrdte),'YYYYMMDD')
FROM fakedates

NBRDTE TIMESTAMP_FORMAT
20,140,228 2014-02-28-00.00.00.000000
20,140,430 2014-04-30-00.00.00.000000
20,140,304 2014-03-04-00.00.00.000000

So you could use this to test the numbers entered as representing dates or to identify those numbers that are not correct representations of dates.

Steve Needles