Hi,

I was on holiday and saw this post only last weekend. I still want to reply, since it might be relevant.

Indeed the last OS/400 release that officially supported it was V4R5 (after IBM moved the last officially supported OS from V4R4). Technically it was still possible to reinstall and run some of the functions on later releases (like V5Rx), although you were on your own doing so, as IBM clearly stated in various communications. If you did so, more and more functions were failing the higher the release. Like someone stated here, since V6R1 you cannot install & run it any more due to technical limitations. The EDTDOC (and PRTDOC as well as a few others) command is officially part of the OS, but it merely links to 'some' product that provides that functionality, which is reported "missing" when OV/400 is not installed. This is where the misconception comes from that OfficeVision was part of the OS.

My company developed DTM for iSeries (or AS/400) that allows you to convert all of your existing OfficeVision documents, and it also keeps all your data fields and instructions such as conditions and includes. It provides you with an identical set of commands like EDTDOC, DSPDOC, PRTDOC, MRGDOC etc., so that you do not need to change your existing programs. It merges data natively on the System i with your documents not only from physical files and queries (Query/400), but also through native SQL. We have helped a lot of companies with product.

Best regards,
Joke

Inventive Designers' Email Disclaimer: