S/O for file I/O? Yes, and also for optimization. Now that the default for the QAQQINI setting, IGNORE_DERIVED_INDEX, is *NO, S/O LFs are available to the optimizer.

This is basically the same as the sparse index - which has a WHERE clause - and we can also specify the columns to be presented by the INDEX - so this becomes almost exactly the same as an S/O logical.

We have been able to use indexes in RPG in F-specs - the newer kind of index is just as useful for I/O as S/O logicals, and also for optimization of SELECT statements that include a matching element in the WHERE clause or probably in a JOIN.

HTH
Vern