18 Internal Drive bays plus 8 dedicated SSD slots (in dual socket only)
Can drive an XP24S (5887) too.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

On 4/28/2014 4:15 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:

Do we know the specs on the Power8 base Raid controller?
Is it limited as in the past (P5, P6, P7) or have they given it some sizable cache?

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:43 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Power8 PCI slots

You would need a machine with two processor modules installed to use all the slots. With just one module you get a little over half the slots.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

On 4/28/2014 3:10 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:

This may a bit early and maybe pre-mature.
Now that the Power8 PCI slots are again "hot swappable" (Power 5 was, Power 6 and Power7 not).
Current Power7 is configured with 2 loops, (4 5913) each 5913 pair is split in one of two 5877, in case of drawer and/or loop failure.

If I were to upgrade to a Power8, at some point, I theoretically could eliminate my two 5877, put all 11 slots in Power8 CEC.
Not only would this eliminate all expansion drawers, but also both GX++ loops.
Hardware maintenance would also be reduced.

One negative would be that I'd be maxed, no room for expansion, currently I have 9 empty slots.

Any other negatives or thoughts from the group.

Thank You
Paul Steinmetz
IBM i Systems Administrator

Pencor Services, Inc.