John,

Many moons ago if you added a field to a PF you had to copy the file to a
backup, create the new file, and then copy the data back into it with MAP
and DROP type options.

Several releases ago IBM altered the CHGPF command. You no longer had to
do this. You can specify a DDS file on the CHGPF command and it will add
the new fields. As much I encourage coworkers to stay current I had a few
that didn't get this for years. Retirement is a good thing.

Perhaps you knew this. Perhaps the difficulty is not that you didn't know
this but perhaps you ran into some situations where the process didn't
work right because of the LF's had some special situation unknown to me.
Which is it?