I understand the 2nd to be how SAVCHGOBJ works...

The terms I learned in school were:
*incremental = just what got changed since the last backup (full backup, or partial backup)

*differential = just back up what got changed since the last FULL backup...

and so your restore strategy would be, apply the full, and the last
SAVCHGOBJ(differential)...

we just found that doing the SAVCHGOBJ with our databases (a tightly integrated ERP system) took almost as long as a "full" save, so to
simplify our restore path <<<WHICH ISN'T THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING???>>> we performed the "full" save.