From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:16 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: comfort level in not performing TAPE backups...

If you use BRMS, no problem you'll still be able to recover since BRMS
will
manage the expiration of tapes etc.

If your nightly saves are change only then dropping the weekly is going
cause you to keep quite a few more tapes around for recovery and I'm
doubtful that a recovery test would be successful. At some point during
the
week you'll need a full save, which can still be save while active, but
full as opposed to an incremental.

The restricted state save, meaning including IBM i LIC and OS is only
really
needed after applying PTF groups/cumulative. I would argue that an *IBM
save should be done at least once a month, and always after an
individual
PTF or groups are applied, but I've seen customers where the frequency
needs
to be shorter since they change parameters on various LPPs during the
month.

Bottom line is design your recovery process, then build the back up to
support it.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect