I have re-composed this email several times now...
it kept winding up as a pro - con list...

Our IT shop (mostly windows servers, with a small IBM i) has been working away from tape for some time.
3 years ago we stopped our nightly IBM i backups to physical tape, and went to a product that exported save files to SAN. we did physical tape spins on the weekend...

we are now in a full HA/DR protection scenario, and are progressing to
performing our nightly backups on the DR box, NOT the source box...
I am ok with this...

Now, I am being tasked to stop the weekend tape spins now as well, except for a "month end" full system save tape to be done on Source system.

I need to ask....
Am I going too far down the trail getting away from tape on the IBM i?

This thread ...