I can't explain why it works now, but I did manage to get it working.

Every user has a home dir declared in the user profile. For some reason, this user's home dir was not an exact match to the user name. The dir existed, so I didn't think too much of it. On a whim, I changed the home dir to match the user name and it miraculously started working.

Thanks

This thread ...