Apache's connection pool library: org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource

JDBC driver from IBM and called: com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.

Does this make any sense to you cause I am clueless.

Your developer is using out-of-the-box connection pool services rather than designing something that might support multiple environments (i.e. Library Lists).

Chris, this type of development is pretty standard in the Java community. I don't agree with it - because the IBM i operating environment has historically supported multiple application and customer environments, via library lists. But it appears that most shops are okay with the Java developer community's idea of "modernization".