On 01-Apr-2014 16:35 -0700, John McKee wrote:

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM, CRPence wrote:

On 01-Apr-2014 14:00 -0700, John McKee wrote:

<<SNIP>> If unattended need to be run from the console, somebody
could enter command during Friday and it would take off on
Saturday night. I forgot to add that the inactive time would also
need to be set to *NOMAX and restored. <<SNIP>>

What is the basis for an implication that the system value
QINACTITV "Inactive job time-out" would need to be modified in that
scenario? If the job awaits continuance in the DLYW "Delayed Wait"
job status, due to processing the Delay Job (DLYJOB) command, that
does not qualify for an "inactive" condition for an interactive
job.

<<SNIPped all but the below doc snippet from a v5r2 link:>>

"Make sure that the value for the QINACTITV system value is *NONE.
If the value for QINACTITV is other than *NONE, the workstation will
vary off in the amount of time specified. If you changed the value
to *NONE, write the old value down."

Well that text is repeated [quite near to, or identically] in a number of documents; the split infinitive included, mostly :-) Therefore, the comment _must be true_ ;-)

The comment is in every release v5r4 and up, and in two Technote [KB] documents, and apparently even a Redbooks document; links to all [though only the latest release InfoCenter] except the latter follow:

IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> Systems management -> Backup and recovery -> Recovering your system -> Saving the system
<http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzarm/rzaiurzaiu2tv.htm>
_Performing a complete save using the GO SAVE checklist_
"...
10. To perform an unattended save operation, continue with the following steps. An unattended save operation prevents your save operation from stopping because of unanswered messages:
18. Type your choice for the Start time prompt. You can schedule the start of the save operation up to 24 hours later. ...

Note:
c. Make sure that the value for the QINACTITV system value is *NONE. If the value for QINACTITV is other than *NONE, the workstation will vary off in the amount of time specified. If you changed the value to *NONE, write the old value down.
..."

<www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1011145>
Reference #: N1011145
Historical Number: 624364218
Title: _How to Perform an Unattended GO SAVE 21_

<www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1014542>
Reference #: N1014542
Historical Number: 440826596
Title: _An Unattended Job That Uses a DLYJOB RSMTIME('19:00:00') Ends_ _Rather Than Continuing_

I am unsure what that last document even describes, neither for the error nor whatever would be done to avoid the alluded issue. Most notably, the Resume-Time (RSMTIME) shown as causing a problem, '34:00:00', is not even a valid value. The doc even mentions a job being "submitted"! The CLP is seriously flawed. Step "d" lacks any context and thus is very confusing. The doc uses wording like "seems to" and "could fail" instead of describing exactly what was the situation for which the document was originally composed; not to mention overuse of pronouns, for which the intended implications are left as an inference exercise for the readers. Ugh!

Anyhow, I have my doubts about the accuracy of the comment overall, because there is no action available from QINACTMSGQ value for which "vary off" of the workstation would be the effect. If one portion of the comment is so blatantly incorrect, what are the chances the rest of the comment is also incorrect? Nevertheless...

Very possibly [probable even], I do not recall properly the impact for a job processing function-type=D; i.e. that the inactivity due to a lack of "int" count [user interactions; interactive transactions count over the elapsed time from WRKACTJOB] supersedes the job status of DLYW. So unlike DSPA preventing an effect of the inactivity timer, very possibly the DLYW status is no better than the DSPW job status, in avoiding the effect defined by QINACTMSGQ.