JDBC connections and library lists

fixed

I ran into an interesting problem regarding library lists and JDBC.

I had a Linux Tomcat programmer define his connection to our iSeries at V6R1 using the libraries parameter. This changed the user library list of the QZDASOINIT job. Future connections to this job held the library list specified in the previous job and did not pick up the user library list form the job description assigned to the user profile that logged in.

I have determined that if you do not use the libraries parameter the user library list is set according to the job description of the user profile connecting.

This was a frustrating lesson learned when all sorts of jobs either wrote to development or could not find programs called by triggers.

My question is this: How do you keep something like this from happening? 1. Do you always specify the library list you need for your connection or do you always use the job description to control the library?

I want to define a standard and move in that direction to avoid library list issues in the future.

Has anyone published a standard they would like to share?

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.