For simple maintenance, you might consider Paul Holm's Web Object Wizard (WOW):

It's third party, but they have a free community edition. Paul has been doing this for a very long time now.

This is a learning process for me. I can write a simple report to the
Intranet with an RPG program and it works well. (Thank you Scott
Klement for your directions on doing this.) I like that solution to
provide useful data to bosses and sales staff with no real learning
curve for them.

What I would like to do is to allow records to be added directly to the
data file. Once I have learned to do that, step 2 would be to allow
editing of those records.

I want to stay away from 3rd party software. That may be the wrong
answer from a production point of view, but I want to learn the process.

Any examples or tips would be appreciated.

(What I have done so far is visible at )