That sounds exactly my experience a few weeks ago. I was doing an upgrade with media I burned myself (V7.7.80).

Working with IBM confirmed that I should have received an "insert next disk" prompt. Instead it dropped me out to a shell. There was nothing to do.

IBM concluded it was the media. I wasn't so sure.

I ended up doing an "install" with the same media. It did ask me for the second DVD and completed normally. Since this was an install and not an upgrade I had to rediscover my servers and redo my HMC profiles.