From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2014 7:47 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: appliance and cloud backup

Jim,

We've been using BRMS since 2006, initially 3582 Tape Library with 2 LTO3 FH
fiber drives.
Currently, TS3200 tape library with 4 LTO5 fiber HH drives, along with a
Brocade fiber channel switch.
The switch allows all 4 drives to be available to both partitions.
We survived with a 2 drive config, but the 4 drives allows much more
flexibility and options.
Also converted optical C42-3595, 40 platters, to IFS, we use OpenText
product DocManager, formerly SPY.
Production full SWA backup every night, 2TB SSD DASD, 2.5 hours with one
drive, 55 minutes with 4 drives.
BRMS autodup for offsite copy.
R&D, 12TB, SWA combination full and chob every night, 1.5 hours, 1 drive.
BRMS autodup for offsite copy.
The 4 drives, along with BRMS and AJS, allowed us to totally automate all
saves and dups, 2 LPARS, no operator intervention.
The only manual intervention is daily tape load/unload, taking/returning
tapes to/from offsite location.

I recently reviewed Laservault's UBD device. It emulates a single tape drive
(multiple drives with addition FC cards in the appliance), not a library,
uses native save/restore command, and will not work well with BRMS.
If a site had a single tape drive, and used native save commands, a much
better fit.

I'm also currently researching IBM's ProtecTier, may be too large for our
config.

I'm also considering a 2nd TS3200 tape library with LTO6 fiber drives, (LTO7
expected soon) The new library would be onsite, move the current LTO5
library offsite.
BRMS autodup would then be dupping offsite directly, eliminating all manual
intervention.
With two libraries, all tapes would remain in the libraries.

Disk backup costs and limited size will probably prevent us from going that
direction.

I'd be interested in any other solutions you may have reviewed.

Paul